1/2 Photos of Chocolate Buttermilk Cake With a Sour Cream Frosting
1 hr 30 mins
A lovely dark, moist cake. The frosting is creamy and refreshing and is nice on other cakes too. It’s a recipe from Judith Olney.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Butter a 10-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- 3Cream together the butter and the sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- 4Add the eggs, one at a time, continue beating until thick and light.
- 5Sieve together the cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and flour.
- 6With your mixer on low speed add the dry ingredients in 4 portions, alternating with the buttermilk and coffee, beat until all is very well blended.
- 7Pour the batter in the springform pan and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 8Run a knife around the edge of the cake and let the cake cool completely whilst in the pan.
- 9Make the frosting just before you need it.
- 10Mix together the sour cream and the icing sugar, whip the cream until stiff, then mix the two creams together.
- 11Release the cake and turn it upside down on a platter.
- 12With a serrated knife cut the cake into layers (I use a piece of sewing thread to cut the cake).
- 13Spread frosting over one layer, carefully replace the other layer on the top and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and the sides.
- 14Leave in the fridge until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Buttermilk Cake With a Sour Cream Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.2
- Calories from Fat 307
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 135.3 mg
- Sodium 240.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 43.7 g
- Protein 7.3 g