1/1 Photo of Chocolate Buttermilk Cake (Fat Free or Low Fat)
Recently made this for a family dinner and it was enjoyed by all (until they found out it was healthy that is). It is moist and light yet chcocolatey enough to satisfy your cravings. The secret to this cake is the moist and fluffy "frosting." Not only does it make a nice contrast to the buttermilk cake it keeps the dish from having that dry quality characteristic of non-fat baking. For that reason, it is best to let your finished cake fully chill, overnight if possible. The tablespoon of oil is optional and makes this a low fat not fat free option. The nutritionals given for this cake without the oil are 156 calories, 1.3g fat, 1.4g fiber, and 0g cholesterol.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour or 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (don't replace more than 1/4 cup with Splenda)
- 1/2 cup cocoa (Dutch processed is best)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon oil (optional if you prefer a less fat-free tasting cake)
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free buttermilk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup non-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup light whipped topping (e.g., Cool Whip Free)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Sift together the flours, cocoa, sugar and baking soda into a large mixing bowl.
- 3In a small bowl combine the buttermilk, water (oil, if using) and vanilla extract.
- 4Combine the buttermilk mixture with the dry ingredients and pour into a 9" by 13" pan prepared with a light dose of cooking spray. Bake for 30-33 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- 5Cool the cake to room temperature.
- 6For the frosting, combine the cocoa (if using) with the yogurt, then fold in the whipped topping.
- 7Top the cake with the frosting and chill for 3 hours to overnight.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Buttermilk Cake (Fat Free or Low Fat)
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.4
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 161.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 16.9 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
non-fat vanilla yogurt