Recipe by Derf
Icing for Chocolate buttercream cake.
Top Review by Bev I Am
I loved the taste of the buttercream (although time consuming, I did make to taste it. I think next time I would omit half or more of the brandy). But my family opted for Chocolate Fudge frosting. I'm afraid my guys won out.
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brandy or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dark rum
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt chocolate with 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Place whole egg and egg yoks in medium mixer bowl, beat at high speed 1 minute.
- Measure sugar and water into 1 quart nonaluminum saucepan, stir well.
- Cook over low heat until mixture simmers, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Uncover sugar syrup, simmer slowly over low heat until it reaches soft ball stage-- 234 degrees to 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.
- While beating at high speed, immediately drizzle the sugar syrup into the reserved egg mixture.
- Continue beating until bottom of bowl is cool to touch.
- Gradually beat reserved chocolate mixture and the brandy into sugar mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Place remaining butter in small mixer bowl, beat at medium speed until fluffy.
- While beating chocolate mixture at high speed,add beaten butter, about 1 tablespoon at a time.
- When all butter has een added, beat about 5 minutes.
- Refrigerate buttercream, stirring every 10 minutes, until firm enough to spread, usually 30 to 40 minutes.