Recipe by Dwynnie
This is the "Kathleen's Chocolate Icing" from the "New Basics Cookbook". It is a fabulous (old-fashioned) buttercream frosting that isn't too sweet and can almost double for mousse! Also, I really like this icing for a chocolate mayonnaise cake!
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2-2⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the chocolate and butter in a small heavy saucepan and melt over very low heat.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the milk and vanilla, and transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar gradually, beating with an electric mixer. Continue beating until the mixture is smooth--it will be runny.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour, beating every 15 minutes. (The icing will stiffen.).