1 hr 15 mins
This is an exceptionally moist classic chocolate layer cake with a very rich chocolate butter cream frosting. The recipe comes from Larry Hayden, pastry chef at Union Square Cafi. It was printed in "The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook". If you like, you can use yogurt rather than the sour cream. It also works well as cupcakes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
For the frosting
- 1Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter two 8-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with parchment paper, butter the paper, and dust the pans with flour, knocking out any excess. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- 2In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on high speed until light, approximately 5 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix well. Combine the buttermilk, sour cream, and coffee. On low speed, add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture alternately in thirds, beginning with the buttermilk mixture and ending with the flour mixture. Mix the batter only until blended.
- 3Divide the batter between the two pans and smooth the tops with a spatula. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack, remove from the pans, and allow to finish cooling.
- 4To make the frosting, chop the chocolates and melt in a bowl over simmering water until smooth. Allow to cool.
- 5Mix the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk. Heat the egg whites in the bowl over simmering water until they are warm to the touch, about 5 minutes. Whisk on high speed for 5 minutes or until the meringue is cool and holds a stiff peak.
- 6Add the butter, 1 tablespoons at a time, while beating on medium speed. Scrape down the bowl, add the chocolate, vanilla, and espresso and mix for 1 minute or until the chocolate is completely blended inches If the buttercream seems very soft, allow it to cool and beat it again.
- 7To frost the cake, place one cake layer on a serving plate, flat side up. Frost the top of that layer with buttercream. Place the second layer on top, also flat side up and frost the top and sides.
Browse Our Top Fillings and Frostings Chocolate Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fillings and Frostings Chocolate Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Buttercream Cake (Ina Garten)
Serving Size: 1 (176 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 484.4
- Calories from Fat 232
- Total Fat 25.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 71.3 mg
- Sodium 278.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 41.4 g
- Protein 9.1 g