Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From the Magnolia Bakery. Makes enough for one 9-inch two-layer cake or 2 dozen cupcakes.
Make and share this Chocolate Buttercream recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled to lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Note: to melt the chocolate, place in a double boiler over simmering water on low heat for 5-10 minutes; stir occasionally until the chocolate is completely smooth and no pieces remain; remove from heat and let cool 5-15 minutes or until lukewarm.
- To make the buttercream: In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter using an electric mixer on MEDIUM speed for about 3 minutes or until creamy.
- Add the milk carefully and beat until smooth.
- Add the melted chocolate and beat well for 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla and beat for 3 minutes.
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat on LOW speed until creamy and of desired consistency.
- **For icing a 3-layer cake use the following measurements: 2 cups unsalted butter, 3 tablespoons milk, 12 ounces semisweet chocolate, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 cups sifted powdered sugar.
Oh my!!! You will not be disappointed! EXCELLENT frosting! Not too sweet & very light from all of the whipping. Simply the best.
Have had the vanilla cupcake with chocolate frosting from Magnolia Bakery in NYC many, many times. Recipe turns out just like it - delicious and chocolate-y. Love it! Thank you.
wonderful......perfact! Tastes good too..;}