This recipe is from Cat Cora's cookbook, "Cooking from the Hip". Chef Cora says, "Budino in Italian means pudding, but this is more like a molten cake, moist and almost gooey in the middle when served warm from the oven. I like to serve the budino with a scoop of homemade Banana Chocolate-Chunk Ice Cream, but it's also great with creme anglaise and fresh raspberries or strawberries. I use Callebaut or El Rey chocolate for this dessert, but any premium chocolate will work."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat to 350°F.
- 2Grease a 9-inch cake pan or 12-cup muffin tin. Wipe out excess oil with a paper towel and set aside.
- 3Chop the chocolate into small shards. Place chocolate in the top of a double boiler or large bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water over very low heat. Melt the chocolate slowly, stirring occasionally.
- 4In a medium bowl, gently whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar and flour until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- 5When chocolate is smooth, remove bowl from hot water and add butter. Stir until butter is melted and chocolate is smooth again. Add egg mixture, mixing well.
- 6Spoon batter into cake pan or prepared muffin tin, filling each cup half-full. Bake for 18-20 minutes in a cake pan or 11-12 minutes in a muffin tin. The edges will have just begun to pull away from the pan, and the center should still look moist and shiny. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- 7While pan is still warm, place a baking sheet over the top, and invert the pan. Carefully lift pan to release cake. Transfer cake to a serving platter or individual dessert plates if you've baked the cakes in a muffin tin.
- 8The budino is best served warm but is also delicious at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Budino
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2061.3
- Calories from Fat 1488
- Total Fat 165.4 g
- Saturated Fat 96.5 g
- Cholesterol 1566.9 mg
- Sodium 1213.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 120.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 101.4 g
- Protein 30.0 g