Recipe by Mommy Diva
A delicious looking and sounding recipe I was sent from Clean Home Journal. Healthy buchwheat meets luscious chocolate! ;)
Top Review by Zanne101
Outstanding! I made just as written without the choc. chips (I don't like overly sweet things). I did burn a few at first because my iron skillet really only needs to be at med. I always make small pancakes and then freeze them. I just pull out what I need and nuke them in the microwave. Works great. I have been missing good pancakes since going gluten-free. I think I will try an orange sauce on these also. Choc and Orange - yummy.
- 1 cup buckwheat pancake mix
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar (plus additional for dusting)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (plus 2 teaspoons for griddle)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 cup mini chocolate chip (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh raspberries or 1⁄2 cup fresh sliced strawberry
- raspberry flavored syrup or strawberry syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F and place a baking sheet or oven-proof serving platter in the oven.
- In a medium bowl, blend the pancake mix, cocoa and 4 Tablespoons of powdered sugar with a whisk or fork.
- In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup mix the oil, egg and milk; Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until blended, about 30 seconds, leaving lumps in the batter (Do not over-mix.).
- Let the batter rest 5 to 10 minutes then gently stir in mini chocolate chips, if using.
- While the batter rests, warm an electric griddle to 375 degrees F then lightly brush the surface with 2 teaspoons of vegetable oil (a large, heavy-bottomed nonstick skillet or griddle on the stove, on medium high heat,will also work - heat until drops of water dance on the surface and evaporate) .
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto the heated griddle for each pancake, flipping the pancakes with a flat spatula when bubbles appear on the pancake edges, after approximately 1 to 2 minutes.
- Cook until steam rises from the pancakes, about 30 to 60 seconds then transfer to the baking sheet or platter to keep warm in the oven until all pancakes are cooked.
- Remove the platter from the oven, dust lightly with powdered sugar and serve immediately along with butter, syrup and berries already on the table.
- Enjoy! ;).