This is from the Australian Women's Weekly Diabetes Cookbook. Thought those with a sweet tooth may enjoy. Please note this recipe is worked out in metric cup measurements. Per brownie 303kj (73cal); 3.8g fat (0.6g saturated fat); 4.7g carbohydrate; 0.2g fibre; medium GI.
- 2 eggs
- 75 g brown sugar (1/3 cup firmly packed)
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 40 g low-fat dairy-free margarine (melted)
- 40 g wholemeal self-rising flour (1/4 cup)
- 45 g dark chocolate chips (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (extra)
- 2 teaspoons icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (160 degrees for fan forced ovens).
- Grease 19cm square pan, line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above two opposing sides of pan.
- Using electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in small bowl until thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Blend coffee and cocoa with the water and oil in a small bowl until smooth, stir in spread (margarine).
- Fold cocoa mixture into egg mixture.
- Fold flour and chock bits and pour into prepared pan.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until brownie is firm to the touch.
- Stand 30 minutes; turn onto wire rack.
- Slice and serve dusted with sifted combined cocoa powder and icing sugar and low fat ice cream if desired.