Recipe by Lorianne1
This is a recipe from the Top of the Riverfront in St. Louis. The recipe was featured on Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels. Plan ahead, as brownies need to cool several hours or overnight (cook time accounts for this).
Top Review by kyleeidson
Extremely messy. Caramel and brownie flowed through the phyllo and spread out all over the pan. Brownies should be cooked through and not just partially baked. Save caramel sauce for topping instead of using inside phyllo.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup praline liqueur
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 5 sheets phyllo dough
- 1⁄2 cup clarified butter
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup caramel sauce
- 1 cup chocolate syrup
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter and flour a 9 x 13 pan.
- Place softened butter in a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, and whisk until it is pale yellow and light.
- Add sugar and whisk till light and luffy.
- Whisk in cooled chocolate, then add the eggs 1 at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Whisk in Vanilla and liquer.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, and salt and fold in until combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan, smoothing it out evenly, and bake in the center of the oven until the brownies have puffed slightly around the edges and are shiny on the surface, about 30 minutes. They will still be very moist in the center.
- Allow brownies to cool 4-6 hours, but overnight is best.
- When you are ready to make the baklava, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Brush the phyllo sheets with clarified butter and stack them.
- Cut phyllo sheets into 4 (6 inch) squares.
- Brush one side of the 4 squares with caramel sauce and sprinkle with half of the chopped pecans.
- Cut the brownies into 3-inch squares and place one on each fillo square. (you will have leftover brownies).
- Fold phyllo sheets around the brownie like an envelope, brush them with clarified butter, and place them seam-side down on a baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.
- carefully place on plate with a scoop of ice cream. Cover in carmel sauce, chocolate sauce, and pecans.