Recipe by kittykat #2
This cake is much requested in my house! It is sponge cake, layered chocolate/regular, and cooked in the broiler one layer at a time. Not as labor intensive as the directions sound. :)
Top Review by oiggy1213
Hello! I was wondering where you got this recipe. When I was about 12 maybe I made a cake VERY similar it might be the same I'm 33 now so I dont' remember. We lost the cookbook that it was in and have been searching for it for YEARS AND YEARS, it was everyone's favorite cake! I'm glad I found this recipe but I would still like to know if you have the same cookbook!?
- 1 (4 ounce) packagesweet German cooking chocolate, divided in two
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 7 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 7 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- grease and line bottom of 8x8 inch pan with wax paper.
- melt half the chocolate and set aside.
- beat 1/2 cup sugar for 30 sec, add vanilla and beat till fluffy.
- add egg yolks one at a time, beating well.
- mix flour and cornstarch together, then stir into beaten mixture.
- divide batter in half.
- add melted chocolate to ONE half, stirring well.
- wash beaters VERY WELL.
- beat egg white in separate bowl until soft peaks form.
- gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, beating till stiff peaks form.
- divide egg whites in half and fold the halves, one at a time (chocolate second), into divided batters with a spatula. Batter may appear curdled at
- this point but that is normal.
- spread scant 1/2 cup of chocolate batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Place pan approx 5 inches from flame in broiler and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Spread scant 1/2 cup plain batter on top of cooked chocolate cake, bake under broiler flame 1-2 minutes.
- repeat steps with remaining batter, trying to keep all additions 5 inches from flame. If this cannot be done simply reduce cook time by a few seconds for each additional layer.
- When done you should have around 10 layers.
- cool in pan 10 minutes, loosen side with butter knife, invert onto wire rack, remove wax paper and cool.
- ICING DIRECTIONS.
- melt together remaining chocolate and 3 tbsp butter.
- Stir in powdered sugar until crumbly.
- pour in enough boiling water to make drizzling consistency (about 1/4 cup).
- cut cake and drizzle each piece with chocolate.