Prep 0 mins
Cook 18 mins
A version of pain au chocolat for breakfast. I've included a vegan version in this so read the note carefully. When the recipe calls for the non vegan use the vegan. Serve with fresh strawberries or orange sections.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1⁄3 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk or 1 cup soymilk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 large eggs or 1 tablespoon flax seed
- 1⁄4 cup water, see note
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 -3 1⁄4 cups unbleached white flour
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- cooking spray or oil
- The water and milk should be 105F to 115°F.
- This recipe requires an egg wash. That is simply a beaten egg. IF you are Vegan use 1 tsp cornstarch and 3 tbsp soymilk.
- NOTE IMPORTANT: In place of the egg use the 1 tbsp flax seed mixed in the 1/4 cup water, see note if you are vegan. Also for vegan use warm soy milk.
- In a small bowl proof your yeast in the warm water.
- In bowl using whisk or mixer with paddle, combine milk, sugar, butter, egg, vanilla, salt, and 1 cup of the flour. Beat hard for 1 minute. Add yeast mixture and 1/2 cup more flour. Beat again for 1 minute. Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time to form a very soft dough that almost clears sides of the bowl.
- And listen? Whisk won't do this completely. Keep a wooden spoon handy to use in place.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. To prevent sticking add flour about 1 tbsp at a time. Wife simply grabs a handful when she does this in baking -- until you have LOTS of experience? Use the tablespoons Cover dough with a damp towel and let rest on work surface for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Lightly spray two baking sheets. Divide dough in half and roll each portion into a 12-inch round then cut each round into 6 wedges.
- Break chocolate into 12 equal pieces. Place a portion of chocolate at the wide end of a dough wedge and roll up, forming a crescent. Repeat with remaining dough and chocolate.
- Arrange 6 crescents on each baking sheet, at least 2 inches apart. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature about 30 minutes. or you can place in refrigerator overnight to rise. Loosely cover with double layer of plastic wrap sprayed with cooking spray.
- Twenty minutes before baking, preheat oven to 375F and brush tops of crescents with eggwash, if desired. Bake 15 to 18 minutes, until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes on the sheet before serving.