1 hr 30 mins
Bread pudding with a a twist of sweet and savory.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 firm bosc pears, cored and sliced lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons liquid honey
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- for the pudding
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 croissants or 4 the equivalent brioche bread
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1For pears:.
- 2Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- 3Combine all ingredients in a heavy, ovenproof dish and mix well.
- 4Bake uncovered, stirring often, for 30-45 minutes until the pears are golden and starting to caramelise. Allow to cool before using. These pears can be refrigerated in an airtight container for a few days.
- 5For the pudding:.
- 6Preheat the oven to 160ºC. Grease a 2-litre pudding bowl or similar dish with the softened butter.
- 7Press down a layer of croissant or brioche, then a layer of roasted pears, a sprinkling of cinnamon followed by a layer of chocolate.
- 8Repeat until all ingredients are used up, ending with a croissant layer and a little chocolate on the very top.
- 9Whisk eggs, cream and caster sugar then strain. Pour this mixture over the pudding and press down on top of the croissants or brioches so they all absorb some of the custard. Allow to sit for half an hour. Sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 45-60 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed. Leave the pudding to cool for 20 minutes.
- 10Serve with lightly whipped cream or a large dollop of mascarpone.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Bread Pudding With Honey-Roasted Pears
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 985.6
- Calories from Fat 586
- Total Fat 65.1 g
- Saturated Fat 38.6 g
- Cholesterol 319.2 mg
- Sodium 525.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.7 g
- Sugars 61.7 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: