Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I'm told by everyone, this is from heaven, have only had one spoonful to taste it and I think they are right! A little time consuming to make but apparently worth it.
- 8 slices egg bread, crusts removed
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- 1 cup milk
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Grand Marnier custard sauce (See Grand Marnier Custard Sauce posted in Recipezaar)
- Brush both sides of bread slices with butter, place on baking sheet, bake at 400°F oven until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- In a heavy saucepan, heat cream and milk over medium high heat until bubbles form at edge.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chocolate until mixture is smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, yolks and sugar.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and vanilla.
- Arrange bread in 9 inch square baking dish, pour custard over.
- Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap.
- Place slightly smaller dish on top and weigh down with heavy cans.
- Let pudding stand for 30 minutes.
- Remove weights and plastic wrap.
- Cover dish with foil and puncture with fork to allow steam to escape.
- Place baking dish in larger shallow baking dish.
- Pour in enough boiling water to reach halfway up sides of pan.
- Bake in 325°F oven until firm, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- (Pudding can be covered and refrigerated overnight and reheated gently or served cold.) To serve, cut bread pudding into squares.
- Pool a little Grand Marnier custard sauce on each plate and top with bread pudding square.
- Pour more sauce over if desired.