Recipe by justcallmetoni
Maybe this is why French women stay so thin? With a dessert like this you can enjoy a lovely chocolate dessert without guilt. Found this recently on the Internet and saving it here for your use as well as my own. Have not tried it yet and look forward to your feedback. (3 pts)
Top Review by BLUE ROSE
How do I rate this, I'm not sure? To make a souffle takes practice. This being my first time I myself have to say, beside almost wanting to ring my DH neck for getting in my way, came out quite good! For anyone chosing to do a soufflie for the first time I would recomen this one! Thank you for this recipe! We have to make this again....
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄3 cups nonfat milk, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry bread cubes, crusts trimmed (best to use French or Italian bread)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sugar, for preparing souffle cups
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare the souffle cups, tear off four pices of foil 4 inches long. Split each foil strip in half; lightly spray each of the strips with cooking spray and coat top quarter of piece of foil with 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Place foil strips around ungreased soufflé dishes, sugar side facing in, extending 1 inch above dishes. Secure foil with tape. Set dishes aside.
- Stir together the 1/4 cup sugar, cocoa and cinnamon in a small-medium bowl. Add 2/3 cup of the milk and vanilla. Stir in bread cubes; set aside.
- In a small saucepan melt the butter. Stir in the flour to form a light paste. Add remaining 2/3 cup milk and cook over medium-low heat until the milk is thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg yolks for five minutes or until thick and lemon colored. Gradually stir in flour and milk mixture. Then, fold in the bread mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites until soft peaks forum (tips curl). Gradually incoprorate 3 tablespoons sugar, beating until it reaches the stiff peak stage (straight tips). Gently fold bread mixture into beaten egg whites. Divide among prepared soufflé dishes.
- Bake in a 350*F oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.