From the book, The Lady & Sons Too! By Paula Deen. I saw Paula make this on a Food Network DVD and it looks delicious!
- 1 lb Italian bread (about 15 cups) or 1 lb French bread, cut into cubes (about 15 cups)
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur, such as Kahlua
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup hershey cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Place the bread in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream and liqueur.
- In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs.
- Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well.
- Stir in the grated chocolate.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes;.
- Let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture.
- Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set;.
- a knife inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean.
- Serve the pudding warm or refrigerate it and serve chilled.