Recipe by GinnyP
This came in my e-mail from 'Real Simple'. Looks good to me!
Top Review by adsimons
I picked this recipe for a dinner party for its simpleness and the fact it could be made ahead. It was well received but for my tastes it was bland and not very sophistacated in taste. Of course every cook will add his/her own spin. I would recommend this recipe as a quick recipe when you need to use what you have..but would advise a differnt recipe for fancier affairs.
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 loaf white bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the milk, eggs, and sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Add the butter and chocolate; melt.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Lightly coat a 9-x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange the bread slices in 3 layers.
- Pour the chocolate sauce over the bread.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place another baking dish on top to weigh down the bread.
- Set aside for 1 hour to allow the bread to absorb the sauce.
- (Can be made to this point up to 1 day ahead. Refrigerate.) Heat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove top baking dish and plastic.
- Bake uncovered 35 to 40 minutes or until set.
- Serve warm with whipped cream.