Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
How easy when you begin with chocolate bread. Serve with Orange Vanilla Cream Sauce (recipe included). On my list of must try soon. Standing time of 1 hour included.
- 6 cups chocolate bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
ORANGE VANILLA CREAM SAUCE
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Butter an 8X8X2 glass baking or casserole dish. Place bread in dish and drizzle with butter; toss to coat.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and cream to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in cream mixture. Pour this mixture over bread; cover and let stand 1 hour to absorb.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pudding until just set in center, about 45 minutes.
- WHILE BREAD IS BAKING MAKE SAUCE:.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream and yogurt until smooth. Add the orange juice, orange zest and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to use.
A friend brought me a loaf of chocolate bread the other day, & in spite of my desire to devour it right away, I remembered this recipe & decided to use much of it for this! Most definitely AN OUTSTANDING BREAD PUDDING, especially with the great sauce that goes with it! Definitely a recipe worth keeping around! [Made & reviewed while touring Canada on Zaar's World Tour 4]