Recipe by Julie B's Hive
How easy when you begin with chocolate bread. Serve with Orange Vanilla Cream Sauce (recipe included). On my list of must try soon. Standing time of 1 hour included.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
A friend brought me a loaf of chocolate bread the other day, & in spite of my desire to devour it right away, I remembered this recipe & decided to use much of it for this! Most definitely AN OUTSTANDING BREAD PUDDING, especially with the great sauce that goes with it! Definitely a recipe worth keeping around! [Made & reviewed while touring Canada on Zaar's World Tour 4]
- 6 cups chocolate bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
ORANGE VANILLA CREAM SAUCE
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups vanilla yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 8X8X2 glass baking or casserole dish. Place bread in dish and drizzle with butter; toss to coat.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and cream to a simmer; remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in cream mixture. Pour this mixture over bread; cover and let stand 1 hour to absorb.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake pudding until just set in center, about 45 minutes.
- WHILE BREAD IS BAKING MAKE SAUCE:.
- In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream and yogurt until smooth. Add the orange juice, orange zest and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate until ready to use.