Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 5 mins
This is a very extravagant chocolate bread pudding recipe. I've served it numerous times at dinner parties, rarely are there any leftovers. Its very important to use the challah or brioche bread for the base.
- Cut challah, brioche, or other light egg bread into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- Taking care to preserve as much of the crumb as possible, trim off and discard the crusts.
- Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes, making 6 to 7 cups.
- Bring heavy cream, sugar& salt to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat.
- Add chocolate.
- Let stand for 2 minute.
- Whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs& egg yolks.
- Add milk& vanilla.
- Whisk in the chocolate mixture, then stir in the bread cubes.
- Let stand for 1 to 2 hours, gently stirring and pressing the bread down now and then with a spatula to help it absorb the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Generously butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- Pour the pudding mixture into the baking dish, smooth the top.
- Bake in a water bath until the center feels firm when pressed, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- Let cool for 45 minutes.
- The pudding can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, bake in a water bath in a 300°F oven until a knife inserted in the center for 2 seconds comes out warm, 15 to 30 minutes.