1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 5 mins
This is a very extravagant chocolate bread pudding recipe. I've served it numerous times at dinner parties, rarely are there any leftovers. Its very important to use the challah or brioche bread for the base.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut challah, brioche, or other light egg bread into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
- 2Taking care to preserve as much of the crumb as possible, trim off and discard the crusts.
- 3Cut the bread into 1/2-inch cubes, making 6 to 7 cups.
- 4Bring heavy cream, sugar& salt to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 5Remove from the heat.
- 6Add chocolate.
- 7Let stand for 2 minute.
- 8Whisk until smooth.
- 9In a large bowl, whisk together eggs& egg yolks.
- 10Add milk& vanilla.
- 11Whisk in the chocolate mixture, then stir in the bread cubes.
- 12Let stand for 1 to 2 hours, gently stirring and pressing the bread down now and then with a spatula to help it absorb the liquid.
- 13Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 14Generously butter a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
- 15Pour the pudding mixture into the baking dish, smooth the top.
- 16Bake in a water bath until the center feels firm when pressed, about 55 to 65 minutes.
- 17Let cool for 45 minutes.
- 18The pudding can be covered and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- 19To reheat, bake in a water bath in a 300°F oven until a knife inserted in the center for 2 seconds comes out warm, 15 to 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.0
- Calories from Fat 369
- Total Fat 41.0 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 380.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 23.7 g
- Protein 15.6 g