Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
If you love chocolate and you you love pudding, well your taste buds will go wild.
Make and share this Chocolate Bread Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- butter (for the dish)
- 1 (1 lb) loafstale unsliced challah or 1 (1 lb) loaf brioche bread or 1 (1 lb) loafother egg bread
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries or 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate or 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, mixed with sugar below
- 1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling)
- One 2 quart dish (size is important).
- Use an 11 x 7 inch dish or a 9 x 9 x 2 inch dish.
- Butter dish and set aside.
- Remove crust from bread.
- Cut bread into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Quarter the slices.
- Line the bottom of the dish with the bread, add a layer of cherries or cranberries, and continue layering, ending with bread.
- In the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water, combine the chocolate, cream, half-and-half, butter, sugar and salt.
- Cook the mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, just until the chocolate and butter melt.
- Remove the top of the double boiler from the water, wipe the bottom of the pan, and set it aside until the mixture is still quite warm but not hot.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs and vanilla for 1 minute.
- With the machine running, slowly add the chocolate mixture to the eggs so that it gently warms the eggs but doesn't make them curdle.
- Slowly pour the chocolate mixture over the bread, pressing the custard into the bread (with your hand or a spatula).
- Sprinkle the pudding with the cinnamon-sugar.
- Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the pudding from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking.
- Lift off the plastic wrap.
- Set the oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 minutes or until the top is crusty and the custard doesn't wiggle when you shake the pan.
- Spoon the pudding onto plates and serve at once.