1 hr 10 mins
If you love chocolate and you you love pudding, well your taste buds will go wild.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter (for the dish)
- 1 (1 lb) loaf stale unsliced challah or 1 (1 lb) loaf brioche bread or 1 (1 lb) loaf other egg bread
- 1/2 cup dried cherries or 1/2 cup cranberries
- 7 ounces semisweet chocolate or 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, mixed with sugar below
- 1 tablespoon sugar (for sprinkling)
- 1One 2 quart dish (size is important).
- 2Use an 11 x 7 inch dish or a 9 x 9 x 2 inch dish.
- 3Butter dish and set aside.
- 4Remove crust from bread.
- 5Cut bread into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- 6Quarter the slices.
- 7Line the bottom of the dish with the bread, add a layer of cherries or cranberries, and continue layering, ending with bread.
- 8In the top of a double boiler over hot, but not boiling water, combine the chocolate, cream, half-and-half, butter, sugar and salt.
- 9Cook the mixture, stirring with a wooden spoon, just until the chocolate and butter melt.
- 10Remove the top of the double boiler from the water, wipe the bottom of the pan, and set it aside until the mixture is still quite warm but not hot.
- 11In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs and vanilla for 1 minute.
- 12With the machine running, slowly add the chocolate mixture to the eggs so that it gently warms the eggs but doesn't make them curdle.
- 13Slowly pour the chocolate mixture over the bread, pressing the custard into the bread (with your hand or a spatula).
- 14Sprinkle the pudding with the cinnamon-sugar.
- 15Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- 16Remove the pudding from the refrigerator 1 hour before baking.
- 17Lift off the plastic wrap.
- 18Set the oven at 350 degrees.
- 19Bake the pudding in the hot oven for 40 minutes or until the top is crusty and the custard doesn't wiggle when you shake the pan.
- 20Spoon the pudding onto plates and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 709.1
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 246.4 mg
- Sodium 501.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 21.8 g
- Protein 13.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: