Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this on an episode of Paula's Party and my mouth was watering. It looks so good.
- 1 loaf French bread (about 15 cups) or 1 loaf Italian bread, cut into cubes (about 15 cups)
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
Pecan Rum Flambe Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish fill with bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, and liqueur. In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add the cocoa mixture to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the vanilla extract, almond extract, and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a cake tester inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean.
- Serve the pudding warm or cold, with Pecan Rum Flambe, dessert sauce.
- Rum Sauce.
- In a large skillet, melt the stick butter and add brown sugar, stir together. Add the pecans and cook until sugar has caramelized over medium-high heat. Turn off the stove and pour in the rum. Stand back and carefully light with a long lighter. Be careful; a flame will shoot up above the pan. As the alcohol cooks out, the flame will die down. Serve over chocolate bread pudding.
I love this recipe! After I saw this episode I had to make it. I substituted the bread for challah bread and it gave it an added touch. The first time I made it with challah i just got it from Whole Foods and the 2nd time around I got it from a jewish bakery which was ever better. This has now become a staple at Christmas
This is FANTASTIC bread pudding, and comes with a recipe for a pecan rum flambe sauce to go with it.
Great recipe. I love Paula and this is another winner!!