Recipe by Vseward (Chef~V)
Not another bread pudding.... oh, but this is the best for those chocolate lovers. This is a simple and delicious bread pudding that takes no time to make and your family will love it. I make this Bread Pudding with Chocolate Brandy Sauce or you can use whatever sauce you prefer.
Top Review by kimime
Those in my family who secretly thought, "Eew, bread pudding", loved this recipe. I substituted more milk for the coffee liqueur. I served with some sweetened, sliced strawberries. Next time I will drizzle caramel over each serving. It just calls for it.
- 15 cups loaf French bread, cut into cubes (about 1 lb)
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place the bread in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, and liqueur.
- In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a knife inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean. Serving the pudding warm, or refrigerate it and serve chilled.
- Serve it warm or cold, with whipped cream or a dessert sauce.