Not another bread pudding.... oh, but this is the best for those chocolate lovers. This is a simple and delicious bread pudding that takes no time to make and your family will love it. I make this Bread Pudding with Chocolate Brandy Sauce or you can use whatever sauce you prefer.
- 15 cups loaf French bread, cut into cubes (about 1 lb)
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish. Place the bread in the baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, cream, and liqueur.
- In another bowl, combine the granulated and brown sugars with the cocoa powder and mix well. Add this to the milk mixture and whisk to combine.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and the cinnamon to the beaten eggs. Combine the egg mixture with the milk mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread cubes; let stand, stirring occasionally, for at least 20 minutes, or until the bread has absorbed most of the milk mixture. Bake the pudding for 1 hour, or until set; a knife inserted into the center of the pudding should come out clean. Serving the pudding warm, or refrigerate it and serve chilled.
- Serve it warm or cold, with whipped cream or a dessert sauce.
I've always liked bread pudding, but I wouldn't call it my favorite. HOWEVER, this bread pudding, may go to the top of my dessert list. It is insanely rich and intense and complex... so delicious. I had very stale French bread, so I let the mixture soak for 30 minutes, and I baked until the knife really did come out clean. Served with fresh whipped cream. Thanks for a fabulous recipe! I can't wait to make it again! By the way, I ate leftovers cold out of the fridge the next day. All of them. Sorry hubby. LOL
Absolutely perfect. I loved the fact that it was easy to put together and not too sweet. Served warm with vanilla ice cream. Thanks for posting this. This might just be my new favorite chocolate dessert.
A total hit at our party! I did increase baking time by another 15 minutes because I used an oval baker. Also, it was still a little wet on the bottom so I may increase another 10 min. next time. Flavor is out of this world!