Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Breakfast decadence or an after-dinner dessert.
- 6 medium plain croissants (enough to make 6 to 6 1/2 c. lightly packed bite-size croissant pieces)
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (may use semisweet chocolate)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°; butter a medium baking pan.
- Arrange bread pieces in the baking dish; scatter the chocolate over the bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, cream, milk, sugar, and vanilla; pour evenly over the bread and chocolate.
- Lightly pat the bread down in the custard.
- Let sit for 5-10 minutes; then stir and pat back down again, keeping the chocolate well distributed.
- A bit of the bread should remain above the custard.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until slightly puffed and golden with oozing chocolate; serve warm.