Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is dangerous it causes severe Chocolate Swoon!!! I have made it with french bread and with challah, both are superb! Don't attempt this if you are on a diet!
- 1 (1 lb) French bread or 1 (1 lb) Italian bread, cubed
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup coffee-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated, i put 8 ounces of semi sweet morsels in my food processor
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly grease 13 x 9 pan.
- (I use butter flavored cooking spray).
- Place bread cubes in the pan.
- In a large bowl whisk the milk, cream and liqueur.
- In another bowl mix the sugar, brown sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Add the sugar mixture to the milk mixture and mix well.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and cinnamon to the beaten eggs.
- Add egg mixture to the milk mixture and mix well.
- Stir the grated chocolate into the mixture.
- Pour over the bread cubes.
- Let the mixture stand, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until bread absorbs most of the milk mixture.
- Bake for 1 hour or until set.
- Check pudding by inserting a knife into the middle, it should come out clean.
- Serve warm or chilled with whipped cream.
I made this just this week in response to a request from my daughter after watching Paula make it on her show. This is seriously good chocolate heaven, folks!! I used 8 oz. of the newish Nestle Chocolatier Dark Chocolate chunks, whole....no grating, and it was perfect. Will be making again for Christmas brunch. I also just whisked all of the wet ingredients and flavorings together in one bowl before pouring over the bread cubes, and I can't imagine that it affected the outcome at all, other than saving dishes. If you even "kinda" like chocolate, you need to try this!