Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
An old recipe passed down by my grandmother.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces chocolate, melted
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- Sift together all dry ingredients.
- Combine with wet ingredients and blend well.
- Spread into a 8 inch baking pant and bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 30 min until golden.
- Let cool.
I thought this was going to be more like the bread you get at a starbucks with your coffee, but it's much more like an actual bread and not very sweet or chocolatly. I ended up throwing it out. I am sure if someone is looking for more of a bready type recipe that isnt very chocolatly and moist this would work good for them but it just wasnt for us.
Okay, I had my doubts, I wasn't sure if the chocolate should be melted but I melted that and the butter (since you can't really "sift" these two) and mixed them in with the wet ingredients. I also used rice milk and vinegar instead of the buttermilk. It was delicious! Very moist, not too rich. Abit like a cake. I really enjoyed this recipe. Thanks!