Prep 3 hrs
Cook 35 mins
A very tasty bread.
- 180 ml milk, heated until just tepid
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 75 g sugar
- 55 g butter
- 85 g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons instant coffee (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 280 g bread flour
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 70 g toasted almonds, coarsely chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast over the milk. Add one tablespoon sugar, then set aside in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the butter and chocolate. Stir from time to time, until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- Mix the remaining sugar, the instant coffee, the egg, sea salt and vanilla into the yeast.
- Stir in half the flour and cocoa powder, then our chocolate mixture, then the remaining flour. Knead dough until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 2 hours.
- Butter a loaf pan.
- Stir in the chopped nuts, if using. Then transfer it to the buttered pan. Let rise in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Bake at 180 degrees C for 35-40 minutes.