Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I keep trying to make bran muffins more interesting... Obviously, you could use dairy and/or soy products instead. The almonds are there because I like a little texture and protein. You could just use another 1/4 c of flour or bran. The original bran muffin recipe called for 1/4 of honey or molasses, but I like to cut down on sugar so I use the applesauce instead. Enjoy Life brand makes dairy- and soy-free chocolate chips if you don't like carob.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease muffin tin.
- Combine all ingredients, adding the chips after everything else is well mixed.
- Distribute in muffin tin.
- Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving. They freeze or refrigerate well, too.
I have no aversion to dairy so I did use regular milk and chocolate chips. I did not have the almonds either so I subbed 1/4 cup wheat germ for them. Overall this is a delicious muffin that also has health benefits! I will definately make again for my family. Thanks!