Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
My friend Judy celebrated Thanksgiving with a sumptuous meal and for dessert she served an array of different pastries and one of them was this Chocolate Bourbon Cake. A wonderful time was had by all and with time I will post some of the fantastic foods from that beautiful evening. She made two and three of everything so as to be able to feed a couple other families - it was lovely!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup strong brewed coffee (we used Cuban coffee)
- 1 tablespoon Bourbon
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa powder, divided
- hot water
- hazelnuts (optional) or macadamia nuts (optional) or pecans (optional)
- MAKE COFFEE-BOURBON SYRUP:.
- Bring sugar, eater and coffee to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook 5 minutes; remove from heat & stir in bourbon.
- MAKE CHOCOLATE-BOURBON CAKE:.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Grease a 9- x 2-inch cake pan, line the bottom with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Combine bourbon and sugar in a large saucepan; bring mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and add chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth.
- Set aside, and let cool to room temperature.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until very well blended.
- Fold in flour and 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan.
- Set pan in a large roasting pan filled to depth of 1 inch with hot water.
- Bake at 375°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes, basting with Coffee-Bourbon Syrup every 15 minutes after a crust has developed on cake's surface.
- Cool cake; cover and refrigerate 6 hours or overnight.
- Transfer cake onto a serving plate, and dust with remaining 1 tablespoon cocoa powder.
- Top with hazelnuts.