Recipe by KitchenManiac
These are just as delicious as chocolate truffles, but much easier to make. From Simple Food by Jill Dupleix. Cook time is freezing time.
- 160 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 125 ml whipping cream
- 250 g italian sponge cake fingers or 250 g ladyfingers
- 100 g icing sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 100 g ground almonds
- 100 g finely chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons Bourbon or 3 tablespoons whiskey
- 180 g butter, melted
- cocoa powder, for dusting
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat cream in a saucepan, stirring till it bubbles.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate, stir till it melts.
- Whiz the sponge fingers in a food processor, or crush with a rolling pin to fine crumbs.
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Mix in the crumbs, ground almonds, and chopped walnuts.
- Add bourbon, chocolate cream and butter, mix well.
- Take a walnut size pinch of the mixture and roll into a ball in your hands.
- NOTE: if it is too wet, add a little more cocoa powder.
- If it is a little too dry, add a dash of bourbon.
- Place on greaseproof paper on a tray and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or till firm.
- Roll each chocolate bourbon ball in cocoa powder to serve.
- Note2: To make it extra special, decorate each with edible gold leaf.