Prep 40 mins
Cook 3 mins
Great for the holidays, or a Kentucky Derby Party!
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup Bourbon
- 2 1⁄2 cups crushed vanilla wafer cookies
- 1 cup finely crushed pecans
- 1⁄2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- Place chocolate chips in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on half power for one minute. Stir, and continue microwaving on half power, check every 30 seconds, until completely melted (approx. 2-3 minutes). Stir in corn syrup and bourbon.
- In large bowl, mix together crushed vanilla wafers, confectioners' sugar, and chopped nuts. Blend in chocolate mixture until all dry ingredients have been well moistened. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Form 1" balls and roll in granulated sugar to coat.
- Store in covererd container at room temperature.
These are fantastic! The bourbon just shines through.... These were a big hit at a family party. I doubled the recipe(which is just shy of a full box of nilla wafers), and supplemented some graham cracker crumbs to make up the remaining crushed cookies. I rolled these in either confectioner sugar, coconut flakes, or finely chopped pecans.
YUM! I just finished these for my upcoming holiday party and I must say I hope there are some left by the time the party rolls around. One alteration(?) I made is that instead of rolling in granulated sugar, I pulverized a pack of "famous chocolate wafers" with about 4T granulated sugar and 1/4c powdered sugar and used that to roll the balls in. These are very good. Anxious to see how they "age"...Thanks, Kathy!!
I made these this year for my holiday cookie tray and they are addictive and delicious. Make them a few days ahead for the flavors to develop. My yield was about 2 dozen TBSP sized balls. This recipe is originally from the Baker's Field Guide to Christmas Cookies.