Recipe by ssej1078_1251510
Carol Walter's recipe. Found it in a local newspaper.but who can go wrong with a snow cap cake
- 113.39 g bittersweet chocolate chips
- 0 hot water
- 6.16 ml instant espresso powder
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 354.88 ml flour, spooned in and leveled
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 0.59 ml baking soda
- 236.59 ml heavy cream, well chilled
- 7.39 ml vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 236.59 ml superfine sugar
- 2 (175.76 g) box , nestle snow-caps divided
- for glaze
- 42.52 g unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 42.52 g bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 14.79 ml unsalted butter
- 236.59 ml strained confectioners' sugar
- 44.37 ml boiling water (or more)
- 29.58 ml light corn syrup
- 3.69 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in oven to lowest position and preheat to 350.
- Butter a 9 inch spring form pan and line 8 inch parchment and butter the parchment.
- Place the broken chocolate hot water and espresso powder in a 1 qt heatproof glass bowl and melt in microwave on medium power., stir occasionally until chocolate is smooth. When chocolate is melted gradually pour in the canola oil and blend with small whisk until incorporated. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the flour ,baking powder salt and baking soda in medium bowl with whisk.Set aside.
- In chilled bowl, with chilled whip attachment, whip 3/4 c of the cream on medium speed until soft peaks. Add vanilla and slowly add the remaining cream and beat until firm peaks., but is still creamy. Do not over beat of it will be lumpy.
- Place eggs in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute.Add superfine sugar taking about 30 seconds to blend.beat for 1 minute longer.
- Reduce mixer to medium low and pour in melted chocolate. Mix for 2 minutes.scrape down sides if necessary. Chocolate mixture is ready when it thickens slightly.
- Reduce mixer to low and add flour , dividing the flour in 3 parts and the whipped cream in 2 parts.starting and ending with flour.scrape side of bowl as needed but don't overmix. Remove bowl from mixer and gently fold in 1/2 cup snocaps candy.
- Empty batter into a buttered pan .sprinkle 1/4 c snow-caps over the top, but don't press down. Bake 42-45 mins baking quickly in the last 2-3 minutes. A few particles of cake should cling to the toothpick when inserting in the center.
- Remove cake from oven and place pan on cooling rack. Let stand 20 minutes. Remove the rim of the pan and let stand 10 more minutes. Then using the cooling rack invert the cake on cooling rack. Remove the metal disk and parchment paper.
- Place an 8 inch cardboard round on top of cake using a plate turn the cake topside and place on a sheet pan. Lined with wax paper.
- Make the glaze:.
- Place chocolates and butter in a 1 at glass bowl and melt in microwave.
- Using whisk add sugar and hot water, stirring until smooth.
- Blend in corn syrup and then the vanilla. At this point the glaze should be glossy and pourable. If it's too thick add some water.
- Glaze sides of cake first, using a spoon to drizzle around the cake.
- Glaze entire top of cake and smooth with spoon.
- Sprinkle remaining snow caps over the top of the cake.
- Decorate the sides with snow caps as well in any pattern you choose.
- Serve with whipped cream.