Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This pudding is one of the best I've ever had. It is extremely rich and decadent. On top of that, it's pretty low in fat (much healthier than what you'd buy at the store) and pretty simple to make. It comes from Didi Emmons who says: "The consistency is creamy and smooth, like that of Jell-O chocolate pudding I loved as a child, but the flavor is far superior."
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or 5 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional) or 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup milk with the cornstarch and whisk well. Add the yolk, egg, sugar, and cocoa and whisk well.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk over med-high heat until it begins to boil. Then pour about half of the milk into the cornstarch mixture, stirring all the time. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Place the pan over low heat, and whisk constantly for about 5 minutes, until the pudding thickens. The pudding should get very thick, like yogurt.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate pieces, vanilla, and alcohol if you like. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- Ladle the pudding into mugs or ramekins and chill at least 1 1/2 hours. Serve it cold, topped with whipped cream if you like.
Great pudding, thick and very chocolately! Made as written without the optional alcohol. DH ate half the batch on his own! Will make again and put it in a pie... Made for ZWT8.
I am so happy :) This is so wonderful. This will cure anything that ails you. Al I had was dark Belgian chocolate but it worked. ;) QOTD: what do you do when you taste your pudding & it's not as sweet as you were expecting? Add the sugar quick while it's still hot!! It worked just fine. And this makes the perfect amount...anough for me to have a huge serving while leaving enough for the 3 of us to have after dinner. bwahahaaaaa! Made for ZWT8 Chefs Gone WILD!
Yummy. Really yummy. Not too hard to make and really luxurious tasting. I made it with semi-sweet chocolate and used alcohol. I will be serving my next batch of guests some serious chocolate. Made for ZWT8.