1/3 Photos of Chocolate Blackout Pudding (From Scratch)
This pudding is one of the best I've ever had. It is extremely rich and decadent. On top of that, it's pretty low in fat (much healthier than what you'd buy at the store) and pretty simple to make. It comes from Didi Emmons who says: "The consistency is creamy and smooth, like that of Jell-O chocolate pudding I loved as a child, but the flavor is far superior."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups low-fat milk, divided
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch or 5 tablespoons arrowroot
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate or 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brandy (optional) or 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier (optional)
- whipped cream (optional)
- 1In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup milk with the cornstarch and whisk well. Add the yolk, egg, sugar, and cocoa and whisk well.
- 2In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the remaining 2 1/2 cups milk over med-high heat until it begins to boil. Then pour about half of the milk into the cornstarch mixture, stirring all the time. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan. Place the pan over low heat, and whisk constantly for about 5 minutes, until the pudding thickens. The pudding should get very thick, like yogurt.
- 3Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate pieces, vanilla, and alcohol if you like. Stir until chocolate is melted.
- 4Ladle the pudding into mugs or ramekins and chill at least 1 1/2 hours. Serve it cold, topped with whipped cream if you like.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Blackout Pudding (From Scratch)
Serving Size: 1 (145 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.0
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.2 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.5 mg
- Sodium 56.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 7.6 g