(Mean Chef adoptee) I have tried many versions of the famous New York blackout cake. After many trials I have settled on this one by Wayne Harley Brachman - Retro Desserts. It is awsome. Source: "Retro Desserts". Use Dark Chocolate Ganache for icing. Adopted 9/06
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cups dark chocolate ganache
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk, divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 cups dark chocolate ganache (Dark Chocolate Ganache)
- For the Pudding: Melt chocolate and butter in bowl over simmering water.
- In medium bowl, whisk cornstarch, cocoa, and 1/4 cup of the sugar into 1/2 cup of the milk.
- Then whisk in eggs and yolks.
- In saucepan bring 2 cups of milk and 1/4 cup of sugar just to a simmer.
- Temper with egg mixture, return all to pan and whisk constantly until bubbles boil up for 3 seconds.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- Thoroughly mix in melted chocolate.
- Cover surface with plastic.
- Cool for 1 hour then refrigerate.
- For the Cake: Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray and line with parchment 1 8-inch cake pan.
- Tripple sift together: flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
- Beat until light and fluffy- 6 minutes Mix liquid ingredients together.
- Alternately beat in wet and dry ingredients.
- Pour into cake pan.
- Bake until tests done.
- About 30-40 minutes.
- Make ganache.
- Let sit until spreadable.
- Turn cake out of pan.
- Trim top to flatten (save scraps) and slice into 3 layers.
- Toast scraps on sheetpan for 5 minutes, cool and process coarsley in food processor.
- Spread pudding between layers, frost with ganache and coat sides with crumbs.