Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
This makes a cake that is full of chocolatey flavour. Great for wedding cakes, birthday cakes or the rainy day blues.
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups white sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups strong coffee
- Preheat oven to 350'f. Butter and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
- Sift flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, vanilla, and beat. Mix in the dry ingredients. Add the buttermilk, melted butter, and coffee. Scrape batter into the prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes until set, and the tester sick comes out clean( about 50 min.) Let cool in pans then invert them onto a rack.
- And enjoy.
This is an absolutely delicious chocolate cake. This recipe makes a big, tall, moist, tender, dark chocolate cake. I love the addition of the buttermilk and coffee, it takes the chocolate to a new place, enhancing it beautifully. Thanks very much for sharing.