Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is unhealthy... but yummy and sooo simple to make. It also represents everything my mothers cooking stands for what with some of the measurements in cups others in grams and the fact that you can change and substitute so many different things and it somehow turns out perfect every time. Maybe shes right in saying that 'cooking isn't an exact science'. It's from an Israeli cookbook, but I can't read Hebrew so I don't know what it's called, I never asked my mum who translated the recipe for me.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk (or 1/2 cup with 1/4 cup wine) or 3⁄4 cup water (or 1/2 cup with 1/4 cup wine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 100 g butter or 100 g margarine
- 500 g biscuits (cookies)
- For the liquid you can either use 1/2 cup of milk and 1/4 cup of wine, just milk for children, or if you want to make it parve, water or water and wine. With the essences you can just use vanilla if you don't want any alcohol for children again.
- put sugar, cocoa powder, the liquid and the essence in a bowl and mix a bit. Cover and put in the micro and put it on a high enough heat and enough time so that it starts to boil.
- Mix in butter/margarine throughly.
- For the biscuits i usually use digestives - i think they are called graham crackers in the u.s but i could be wrong. You can put them in a sealed bag and pound into crumbs or put in a food processor but don't grind them too fine and leave some larger chunks of biscuit. Personally I love to pound - great stress reliever but for achy arms use processor.
- Mix everything together, the consistency should be semi solid (not complete liquid) , if it's too liquidy crush a few more biscuits in, or if in doubt as you probably won't be able to tell the first time.
- Get two large pieces of grease proof paper. Put half the mixture in one piece of paper, spreading it in a rectangular shape Make sure you leave a bit of paper to cover the ends and roll up the mixture in paper so it should be squashed cylinder shaped or if your food at rolling maybe it will cylinder shaped. Then cover ends. Repeat with other half mixture.
- Put roulades in freezer. Freeze for an hour and a half at least.
- To serve, remove paper by unrolling and cut into slices, if not using all of roulade put back in freezer till ready to eat.