Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Saw this on a tv cookery programme. Even beetroot haters will like these ...because they can't taste the beetroot, but it makes the muffins moist.
- 2 1⁄2 ounces cocoa powder
- 6 1⁄2 ounces plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 1⁄2 ounces caster sugar
- 8 1⁄2 ounces cooked and peeled beetroots
- 3 large eggs
- 7 fluid ounces corn oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- icing sugar or confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line paper muffin cases in a 12-mould muffin tin.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, and set aside.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, then add the vanilla and oil and blend until smooth.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients, add the beetroot mixture and lightly mix.
- Divide this mixture over the 12 muffin cases.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on your oven, or until the top is firm when pressed with a finger.
- Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar to serve.
Great recipe! These were a real hit with the family! The only thing I would change would be the addition of some chocolate chips for an even bigger chocolate punch!
These have a nice flavor-you get just a hint of the earthy beets-and a nice rich color. I, too, had trouble with the conversion. Metric would have been easier. I did feel there was too much oil, though. I would cut the amount and also some of the sugar. Made for Spring 2009 PAC Orphanage.
Have boiled beetroot...look at this space..fingers crossed hehe Well made them and yummmmmmmo....The only trouble I had was the measurements..having to convert is a pain...but as a muffin 5 stars..seriously Made this as a cake OMG Awesome...so moist everyone wanted some to take home seriously hehehe was a star for the night 5 stars again