Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Beetroot is transformed! The flavour disappears, but the vegetable gives this cake incredible moisture... Recipe taken from Abel & Cole Organics newsletter.
- In a large pan of boiling water, boil the beetroots in the skins until tender when pierced with a knife, 30-60 minutes.
- Let cool and peel away the skins.
- preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas4.
- Butter a medium (20cm) cake tin.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into the bowl; add the sugar and set aside.
- Puree or finely grate the beetroot.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the beetroot, eggs, 2 tsp vanilla and oil.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to just combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolae in a bowl set over boiling water.
- Whisk together the chocolate, cream cheese, 0.5tsp vanilla and 50g butter. Spread on the cake.
Very easy to make. It works exactly as stated. The first day you can really taste the beetroot, which is fun, but after that it becomes more like a rich chocolate cake. Two for the price of one! Thanks for posting.