Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Beetroot is transformed! The flavour disappears, but the vegetable gives this cake incredible moisture... Recipe taken from Abel & Cole Organics newsletter.
- In a large pan of boiling water, boil the beetroots in the skins until tender when pierced with a knife, 30-60 minutes.
- Let cool and peel away the skins.
- preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas4.
- Butter a medium (20cm) cake tin.
- Sift the cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into the bowl; add the sugar and set aside.
- Puree or finely grate the beetroot.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the beetroot, eggs, 2 tsp vanilla and oil.
- Fold in the dry ingredients to just combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake 50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes in the pan, then remove to a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, melt the chocolae in a bowl set over boiling water.
- Whisk together the chocolate, cream cheese, 0.5tsp vanilla and 50g butter. Spread on the cake.