Recipe by JustEmma
A low-fat, low-cal chocolate cake which uses beetroot instead of fat to give density and moisture
- 1 1⁄2 cups pureed fresh beetroots
- 2 cups wholemeal flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped macadamias
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook a bunch of fresh unpeeled beetroot by simmering for 1 hour. Or if you have a pressure cooker, cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain, peel, and puree beetroot in a food processor to provide 1½ cups of pureed beetroot.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/356f. Lightly oil and flour a 25 cm circular cake tin.
- Place flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly. Add the chopped nuts.
- In another bowl, mix oil, eggs and beetroot. Fold into the dry ingredients.
- Place in cake tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool.