A low-fat, low-cal chocolate cake which uses beetroot instead of fat to give density and moisture
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook a bunch of fresh unpeeled beetroot by simmering for 1 hour. Or if you have a pressure cooker, cook for 20 minutes.
- 2Drain, peel, and puree beetroot in a food processor to provide 1½ cups of pureed beetroot.
- 3Preheat the oven to 180C/356f. Lightly oil and flour a 25 cm circular cake tin.
- 4Place flour, sugar, cocoa, and baking powder in a large bowl, and mix thoroughly. Add the chopped nuts.
- 5In another bowl, mix oil, eggs and beetroot. Fold into the dry ingredients.
- 6Place in cake tin and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Turn out onto rack and cool.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Beetroot Cake
Serving Size: 1 (123 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 393.1
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 84.6 mg
- Sodium 170.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 34.1 g
- Protein 6.5 g