Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 50 mins
The title sounds strange, but the mixture of red beetroot (beets) and chocolate gives a wonderfully "earthy" flavour, not to sweet and for those who don;t like beetroot you really cannot taste the beetroot taste. From Delicious Magazine July 2004
- Pre heat oven to 180C (350F)NOT FAN FORCED OVEN.
- Lightly butter a 25cm round or square cake pan.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar and set aside.
- Puree cooked beetroot in food processor.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add vanilla and oil and wiz until smooth.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients, stir in beetroot mixture, and lightly mix.
- Pour into pan and bake for 50-60minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If the cake begins to brown, cover lightly with foil, after about 30 minutes.
- It WON'T rise a great deal, and the top might crack.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes IN PAN, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- Can be served with fresh whipped cream or creme fraiche or just delicious plain.
First time I have made this cake and it was just superb. I have now just made another one and Hubby has commented is that the same one as last time, I said do you mean the beetroot cake, he said WOT DO YOU MEAN,,,,,, veges in a cake,,,, say no more, mmmmm
I made this today and it's fantastic - the only change I made was to replace the flour with gluten free flour and it still turned out perfectly. Thank you for this recipe, it's going onto the regular rotation (while there is still beetroot in the garden...)
I just love this recipe, I've made it several times before loosing my recipe and now I've found it here, I'm loving it again