Recipe by Janine Smith
The title sounds strange, but the mixture of red beetroot (beets) and chocolate gives a wonderfully "earthy" flavour, not to sweet and for those who don;t like beetroot you really cannot taste the beetroot taste. From Delicious Magazine July 2004
Top Review by huiabird
First time I have made this cake and it was just superb. I have now just made another one and Hubby has commented is that the same one as last time, I said do you mean the beetroot cake, he said WOT DO YOU MEAN,,,,,, veges in a cake,,,, say no more, mmmmm
- 75 g good quality cocoa powder (I used Hershey's cocoa)
- 180 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 250 g caster sugar (super fine sugar)
- 250 g cooked fresh beetroots
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200 ml corn or 200 ml sunflower oil
- icing sugar (confectioners sugar, to dust)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 180C (350F)NOT FAN FORCED OVEN.
- Lightly butter a 25cm round or square cake pan.
- Sift cocoa powder, flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar and set aside.
- Puree cooked beetroot in food processor.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition.
- Add vanilla and oil and wiz until smooth.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients, stir in beetroot mixture, and lightly mix.
- Pour into pan and bake for 50-60minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- If the cake begins to brown, cover lightly with foil, after about 30 minutes.
- It WON'T rise a great deal, and the top might crack.
- Remove from the oven and cool for 15 minutes IN PAN, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
- Can be served with fresh whipped cream or creme fraiche or just delicious plain.