Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delish! Got these from a cooking light cookbook and they were quite a hit. I did of course change them to choc. So if you want the original recipe just omit the cocoa powder. Enjoy!
- 1 lb beet (about 2 med)
- cooking spray
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, substitue for 1 t flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, chilled
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Peel the beets with a vegetable peeler. Grate beets using lrg holes of grater (use gloves or beets will dye hands).
- Spray muffin tins with cooking spray.
- Combine sugars, oil, and eggs in lrg bowl, beat at med speed until well blended. Add beets and beat well.
- In seperate lrg bowl add flour, and other dry ingredients and whisk together until mixed.
- Add flour mixture to sugar mixture alternately with milk. Beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Pour batter into cupcake tins and tap on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350 for 20-30 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 mins on wire racks, remove from pans and cool completely.
- Beat rind, vanilla, and cream cheese with mixer at high speed until fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed until blended. (don not overbeat).
- Frost cupcakes and sprinkle with walnuts if using.
- Store in refrigerator.
I doubled the recipe to use a 15 oz can of beets from the store. I pureed them and added to the batter. DH hates beets. He didn't even know they were in the cake! Neither do the kids. I did change the frosting to the icing from Lemon Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Icing - just omitting the lemon juice and subbing vanilla and milk instead. These will be made again.