Recipe by Sage
this is a fun fall project! You can of course roast your beets first; I took the lazy way out. If you want to use roasted beet, do them in the microwave.. Wear plastic gloves while working with the beets.
- 2 squares dark chocolate, chopped
- 118.29 ml butter
- 236.59 ml cake flour
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 1.23 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 177.44 ml sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 396.89 g sliced beets
- 118.29 ml cream cheese, room temperature
- 29.58 ml unsalted butter, softened
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- 4.92 ml beet juice
- 473.18 ml icing sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake papers. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the chopped chocolate and 2 tablespoons of the butter in a microwavable bowl and microwave on low, at 30 second intervals, until ingredients are melted.
- Stir often during the melting process. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In the bowl beat remaining butter and sugar together until well combined. Beat in egg and vanilla. Beat in beet purée, followed by melted chocolate mixture.
- Using a sturdy spatula, fold in flour mixture by hand. Do not over mix.
- Using a lever ice cream scoop to make the job easier and mess-free, divide cupcake batter among muffin cups.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in tins for a few minutes, then cool cupcakes completely on a wire rack.
- With an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add beet juice, icing sugar and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Frost cupcakes as desired. Makes enough for twelve cupcake.
- Use a spatula or piping bag to frost cupcakes.