Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A danish recipe (Scandinavia).
Make and share this Chocolate Beer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- Cream butter, add sugar slowly and beat well. Add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the chocolate which has been melted over low heat and cooled. Beat until smooth.
- Sift together three times the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add to the butter alternately with the beer, a little at a time, and blend well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold inches.
- Bake in a buttered loaf pan (9×5×3) about 30 minutes in a preheated 375º oven. Serve plain or frost with a frosting.
The unusual ingredient combination drew me to make this cake and the flavor is really good. However, at the recommended cooking time the center was still very, very wet. With an extra 5 minutes in the oven, the pick came out looking just barely clean, so I thought it would be fine. Unfortunately, it was pretty dry everywhere but the center. I iced it with my favorite Dutch cocoa based frosting. DH didn't eat anymore than the first bite (because of the dryness), but DD, DS & I ate our pieces. By the next morning it was too dry for any of us, though. I think a slight adjustment to the baking temp/time could make a real difference next time. Thanks for posting, Boomette! Made for Photo Forum's National Dessert Month event. :)