Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This isnt so much about the cake recipe itself as it is about the presentation. I found this browsing on Bon Appetit's web site and found it to be the most beautiful/simplest presentation ever! A great way to make any cake look amazing
- three different chocolate box cake mix
- 12 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (could be more depending on how big your cakes are)
- paraffin wax, strips
- Follow box instructions for all three chocolate cakes and make accordingly.
- after baking transfer pans to a wirerack andcool for 20 minutes.
- invert the cakes onto the rack, remove the pans and let cool completely.
- with round cookie cutter of your choice in size cut cake layers being sure to use the same size cookie cutter for all layers so they stack evenly
- place all the first chocolate precut layer on a serving rack and evenly spread melted nutella over top.
- top with second chocolate precut layer and spread the top of the second layer with melted nutella (its ok if it drips down the sides a bit).
- top with third chocolate precut layer and let the layers sit in the refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- chocolate band.
- measure the circumference of your cake and cut wax strips to fit around your stacked cake being sure to make strips a bit taller than your stacks.
- Line large baking sheet with foil; set aside. Place another large sheet of foil on work surface; place waxed paper strips atop foil, spacing apart. Stir chocolate in medium bowl set over pan of simmering water until smooth. Pour half of melted chocolate down center of each pre-measured waxed paper strip. Using small offset spatula, spread chocolate to cover strips evenly, allowing some of chocolate to extend beyond edges of paper strips, making sure strips are completely covered. Using fingertips, lift strips and place on foil-lined sheet. Chill until chocolate just begins to set but is still completely flexible, about 2 minutes.
- Wrap band around cake, waxed-paper side out, lining up 1 long edge with bottom of cake (band will be higher than cake). If bands overlap, trim any excess paper and chocolate. Using fingertips, press top edge of band in toward cake, forming slight ruffle. Chill until chocolate sets, 5 minutes. Gently peel off waxed paper. Chill cake. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill.
- I like to top my cake with fresh or glazed fruits!