This recipe was passed to me by my mother, and I've embellished it a tad.
Make and share this Chocolate Banana Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 bananas (mashed)
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup pecan pieces (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9x5x3 loaf pans.
- Cream butter, eggs, sugars, bananas, buttermilk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa and pecans.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed ingredients. Mix well.
- Add boiling water and stir rapidly for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over tops of loaves. (if using chocolate chips).
- Return to oven for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes clean when poked into center of loaf.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Take a spatula and spread melted chocolate chips in an even layer on top of loaves.
- Let cool and remove from pans.
- Warm to serve and enjoy!
- Note: This recipe will also make 48 small cupcakes with a baking time of 20 minutes, and chocolate frosting can be substitued for the chocolate chips.
Very flavourful and moist cake, not too rich and that's how I like it. I reduced the cinnamon to just a pinch and the vanilla to one teaspoon. It came out perfectly, thank you for the recipe. My family loved it.
Lovely moist cake. I made one loaf and 6 large muffins. Bake time for the muffins was 30 minutes. I did not use the chips or nuts. :)
Wow! This cake is delicous!! It is soooo thick and fudgy. I would skip the chocolate chips on top though. The cake is so good by itself it just doesn't need it and is better without. Will def be making this again and again and again:)