Recipe by Annie Michelle
This recipe was passed to me by my mother, and I've embellished it a tad.
Top Review by Flowerfairy
Very flavourful and moist cake, not too rich and that's how I like it. I reduced the cinnamon to just a pinch and the vanilla to one teaspoon. It came out perfectly, thank you for the recipe. My family loved it.
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 4 bananas (mashed)
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 (12 ounce) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 cup pecan pieces (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour two 9x5x3 loaf pans.
- Cream butter, eggs, sugars, bananas, buttermilk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, baking cocoa and pecans.
- Add dry ingredients to creamed ingredients. Mix well.
- Add boiling water and stir rapidly for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into loaf pans.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over tops of loaves. (if using chocolate chips).
- Return to oven for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes clean when poked into center of loaf.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Take a spatula and spread melted chocolate chips in an even layer on top of loaves.
- Let cool and remove from pans.
- Warm to serve and enjoy!
- Note: This recipe will also make 48 small cupcakes with a baking time of 20 minutes, and chocolate frosting can be substitued for the chocolate chips.