Recipe by Motivated Mama
There's nothing better than starting your Sunday morning with a batch of warm and fluffy Chocolate Banana Pancakes. And if you are one of those who likes to watch your calories, try this version made with whole wheat flour, fresh bananas and some sweetened cocoa powder. A bit of yogurt or skim milk adds the perfect light and fluffy texture you need, and a dusting of powdered sugar, a dollop of butter and some old-fashioned syrup or some homemade fresh-fruit sauce will truly help you get the best out of your breakfast deal. Got this, description, and all, from foodandfuncafe.com
Top Review by African Lady
Very tasty, especially if you are craving something "chocolaty." Make sure you use sweetened cocoa. I used unsweetened and added sugar to give sweetness. The cocoa was very overpowering, and although I tasted the banana, I would probably use more banana next time because the flavor disappeared. I would also reduce the amount of cocoa powder, even if I use sweetened cocoa powder to tone the overly chocolate taste down a notch. Great idea though! Will make again.
- 1 overripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup water (water and yogurt can be replaced with 1/2 cup skim milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened cocoa powder (20g)
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour (I used whole wheat white)
- 1 pinch powdered sugar, for presentation (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash the banana in a medium bowl. Add the egg, vanilla, yogurt, and water. Whisk until a bit frothy and smooth.
- In a smaller bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder. Sift it into the banana mixture. Mix until just blended. It will be thick.
- Use a ladle to drop some batter on a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium heat sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Cook about 1-2 minutes per side; when bubbles form on one side, its time to flip them over.