Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a fantastic and quite healthy muffin. I prefer honey in this - though I know many vegans don't eat honey. It's also fine with agave nectar or turbinado sugar. This muffin is also a great base for adding in other healthy stuff. Try sneaking in some grated zucchini, using a ripe avocado in place of all or some of the oil, or pureed carrots with the mashed banana.
- 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 78.07 ml cocoa
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 59.14 ml chia seeds (optional)
- 29.58 ml ground flax seeds (optional)
- 3 mashed bananas (ripe)
- 118.29 ml oil (Earth Balance is great) or 118.29 ml butter (Earth Balance is great)
- 118.29 ml agave nectar or 118.29 ml honey or 118.29 ml turbinado sugar
- 118.29 ml soymilk
- 4.92 ml apple cider vinegar
- 2.46 ml vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin or line with paper cups.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chia seeds and flax seed in a large bowl. Make sure it is well mixed.
- In a small cup, combine the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- Mash or process the bananas, then add oil, honey (or your preferred sweetener) and vanilla to the banana puree.
- Make a well in the flour mixture. Then pour in the banana mixture and the soy milk/vinegar. Stir until just combined.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full with batter.
- For garnish, toss a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake for around 20 minutes - or until done.