This is a fantastic and quite healthy muffin. I prefer honey in this - though I know many vegans don't eat honey. It's also fine with agave nectar or turbinado sugar. This muffin is also a great base for adding in other healthy stuff. Try sneaking in some grated zucchini, using a ripe avocado in place of all or some of the oil, or pureed carrots with the mashed banana.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chia seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)
- 3 mashed bananas (ripe)
- 1/2 cup oil (Earth Balance is great) or 1/2 cup butter (Earth Balance is great)
- 1/2 cup agave nectar or 1/2 cup honey or 1/2 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin or line with paper cups.
- 2Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt, chia seeds and flax seed in a large bowl. Make sure it is well mixed.
- 3In a small cup, combine the soy milk with the apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- 4Mash or process the bananas, then add oil, honey (or your preferred sweetener) and vanilla to the banana puree.
- 5Make a well in the flour mixture. Then pour in the banana mixture and the soy milk/vinegar. Stir until just combined.
- 6Use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups about 3/4 full with batter.
- 7For garnish, toss a few chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- 8Bake for around 20 minutes - or until done.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chocolate Banana Muffins - Vegan
Serving Size: 1 (73 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 189.6
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 237.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: