Recipe by dev_carlsen
When it comes to sweet marriages, banana and chocolate are a match made in heaven. Take a fragrant, familiar, moist banana cake and update it with a double whammy of chocolate -- dark chocolate both in and on the cake that has been smoothed with a chocolate icing. For taste, this is simply the ultimate banana cake. For looks, it's spectacular and professional -- the crowning touch to any meal.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 cups sifted cake-and-pastry flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed bananas
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 10 ounces chocolate, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: In bowl, cream butter with sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at.
- a time, then vanilla. Beat in sour cream. Combine flour, baking soda, and.
- chocolate; add in 3 additions to creamed mixture alternately with 2 additions of.
- bananas, mixing just until flour is incorporated. Spoon into 2 greased.
- 8-1/2-inch (2.25 L) springform pans, smoothing tops.
- Bake in 350F (180C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until top springs back.
- when touched. Let cool on rack for 20 minutes. Remove sides of pans; let cool.
- Chocolate Icing: In saucepan, bring half of the cream to boil; pour over.
- chocolate in bowl, whisking until melted. Add vanilla. Refrigerate until.
- chilled, 1 hour, whisking often.
- On medium speed, beat chocolate mixture just until ridges hold shape. Beat.
- remaining cream just until soft peaks form; gently fold into cake mixture. With.
- serrated knife, slice cakes in half horizontally. Place a top layer, cut side.
- up, on plate. Spread top with 3/4 cup (175 mL) icing; cover with single layer of.
- bananas, leaving 1/2-inch (1 cm) border. Cover with 1 bottom cake layer, cut.
- side down; repeat with icing and bananas.
- Repeat with remaining top layer, cut side up, and some of the icing and.
- bananas. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down.
- Using palette knife, cover cake smoothly with remaining icing. Refrigerate.
- until firm, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 40 minutes, or up to one day. To serve,.
- drizzle melted chocolate with fork over remaining bananas; let set. Arrange on.
- cake. Slice with serrated knife.